What is the difference between Home Care Packages and the Commonwealth Home Support Program?
Home Care Packages and the CHSP both give you support to stay at home. But there are differences between the programs.
With the CHSP, you:
- choose from a set menu of services – there isn’t much flexibility
- only pay for the services you use
- can dip in and out of the program as you need things
- have your eligibility assessed by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS).
With a Home Care Package:
- a case manager or case adviser helps you understand the system and work out a Care Plan that suits your individual needs and preferences
- you get your own funds to use and can decide how to spend it, rather than choosing from a menu
- once you have a package, it stays in place for the long term
- your eligibility is assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)